EVENTS OFFER FAMILY-FRIENDLY FESTIVITIES INCLUDING FREE “FOOD LION DAY AT THE CIAA”
Feb 20, 2014 – SALISBURY, N.C. — Food Lion announced today its continued support of the Central Intercollegiate Athletic Association (CIAA) Tournament by sponsoring several events, which have become favorites to CIAA fans. These events include the women’s tournament, Miss CIAA and “Food Lion Day at the CIAA” on Friday, Feb. 28. All events will be held Feb. 24 through March 1 in Charlotte, N.C.
“Food Lion is excited to be a part of the CIAA’s 2014 tournament to show our continued support for our communities surrounding the 12 CIAA schools,” said Kevin Hill, Division Vice President for Food Lion’s Central Division. “Over the last 20 years, Food Lion and its customers have provided more than $3 million in scholarships for deserving students attending the 12 CIAA schools, as well as jobs to students and alumni. We invite all who are planning to attend this year’s event to celebrate with us.”
As a corporate CIAA partner and the only retail grocer partner, Food Lion will again serve as the title sponsor for the 2014 Food Lion CIAA Women’s Basketball Tournament, which begins Tuesday, Feb. 25 and concludes Saturday, March 1 at the Time Warner Cable Arena.
In addition, Food Lion is sponsoring many family-friendly activities, including:
- Food Lion Chef Challenge: Fans will have a chance to enjoy Food Lion Chef Challenge cooking demonstration from 5 p.m. to 8 p.m. Thursday, Feb. 27 and 28 and from noon to 7 p.m. on Saturday, March 1. The events will be held at the Charlotte Convention Center.
- Food Lion Day at the CIAA: Food Lion invites its customers and fans to participate in Food Lion Day at the CIAA on Friday, Feb. 28 at the Time Warner Cable Arena. The all-day event will feature interactive games, premium giveaways, and Food Lion’s scholarship check presentations.
- Food Lion Miss CIAA Competition: Food Lion will officially crown Miss CIAA 2014 and present scholarships to the winner and the first and second runner-ups on Saturday, March 1 at 11 a.m. on the main floor inside the Time Warner Cable Arena. There will be opportunities for media to interview the winner after the crowning. The twelve contestants include the following:
- Miss Shaw University Dominique Shantel Lewis of Monmouth, N.J.
- Miss Virginia Union University Cayla Rynee Cowherd of Henrico, Va.
- Miss Virginia State University Deja Gibson of Portsmouth, Va.
- Miss Livingstone College Annakay Edwards of St. Andrew, Jamaica.
- Miss Elizabeth City State University Raven Ciara Wright of Greensboro, N.C.
- Miss St. Augustine’s University Jameelah Delissa Robinson of Brooklyn, N.Y.
- Miss Bowie State University Erica Johnson of Bowie, Md.
- Miss Fayetteville St. University Jerraye Daniels of Goldsboro, N.C.
- Miss Winston-Salem State University Vanity Lael Oakes of Winston-Salem, N.C.
- Miss Johnson C. Smith University Rhonda Ieasha Wright of West Orange, N.J.
- Miss Lincoln University Monique Barnes of Baltimore, Md.
- Miss Chowan University Judy Rochelle Roberson of Charlotte, N.C.
All events are free, excluding the basketball tournament games. For more information about Food Lion sponsored activities during this year’s tournament, go to www.foodlion.com
About Food Lion
Food Lion, based in Salisbury, N.C., is a subsidiary of Delhaize America, the U.S. division of Brussels-based Delhaize Group and operates more than 1,100 supermarkets. The company employs approximately 58,000 associates delivering quality products, low prices and service to customers in 10 Southeastern and Mid-Atlantic states. For more information, visit www.foodlion.com. Find Food Lion business updates on Twitter @FoodLionNews or at www.foodlion.com/corporate/pressroom.
SOURCE: Food Lion